Monday, December 31, 2007

Books - Best of 2007

My Best of Books 2006 edition was [surprisingly] comprised entirely of author's who I'd never read previously. Interestingly enough three of them have made it to this year's list! So without further adu... my Best of Books 2007 edition:

5] (Tie) The Terror by Dan Simmons is a novelization of the true doomed 1840s Franklin expedition to find a Northwest passage. History tells us there were no survivors and the men died from exposure, starvation and worse. Simmons' story combines all of the interesting historical details and adds a new menace, a creature which feeds on men. The Terror was a national best seller. Stephen King listed it as one of his favorite books of the year. Who am I to argue with Stephen King?

5] (tie) No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. You know how much I loved the book and movie. If you haven't read it [or seen it], you should.

4] Duane Swiercznski jumped to my "must read" list with his very hip, very cool novel The Wheelman. Since then I've also read his Secret Dead Men and The Blonde. All of which get a thumbs up and The Blonde comes in at #4 on this year's best of list.

3] No Dominion by Charlie Huston. C'mon, it's Joe Pitt -- and Charlie Huston. Enough said.


2] The 47th Samurai by Stephen Hunter. I have to admit I was skeptical. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Stephen Hunter [especially his Earl Swagger novels], but this one takes place in Japan and had a different feel. I shouldn't have worried though. Hunter comes through with one of the best Swagger novels in years.

1] L.A. Rex by Will Beall. Beall is a real LA cop and LA Rex is his first novel. I hope that there are more to come because this tale of cops, gangbangers, drug dealers and the gritty life of those in South Central pulled me in and wouldn't let go. LA Rex is currently a bargain book purchase if you click HERE. You can get the hard cover for less than the price of a paperback... but supplies are limited.

No comments: