Sunday, December 30, 2007

UFC 79 Results

UFC 79 Results:

Rich Clementi vs Melvin Guillard. I took Clementi because I felt that Guillard would crack under the pressure of a Clementi attack. Sure enough, with just seconds left in the first round, Guillard tapped.

Lyoto Machida vs Rameau Sokoudjou. I didn't know much about either but jumped on the Machida bandwagon upon seeing his record. Machida dominated and won via arm triangle in round two.

Eddie Sanchez vs Soa Palelei. Again, I didn't know much about the fighters, but since I was up 2-0 and my brother wanted Palelei, I went with Sanchez who won in less than spectacular fashion via a 3rd round stoppage.

Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva was a tough call. I figured one of these warriors would knock out the other -- the question was who would come out on top? One of the pre-fight segments showed the two facing off after the weigh-in. Silva suddenly jumped forward at Liddell... and... Liddell... did... not... flinch. That was enough for me -- I went with Liddell. Both fighters were in great shape and during the fight each rocked the other. Liddell won rounds one and three for sure and possibly even the second -- at least on my scorecard. [Yeah, I was surprised it went the distance]. The judges felt the same with two giving it to Liddell 30-27 and one giving it to Liddell 29-28. A good showing by both fighters insures more to come from each.

Georges St. Pierre vs Matt Hughes pitted two of my favorite fighters against each other. Another tough decision but in the end I went with St. Pierre. I made the right choice as he dominated Hughes, winning via verbal tapout in the second round.

A great night of fights was made even better by me going 5 - 0 in my selections. Now on to 2008!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! For a minute I thought this was Huckabee vs. Romney in Iowa.