Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Need a Ride?

Ridelust.com charts their picks for the 50 Most Famous Cars from Movies and TV. Looking at the list I’m surprised that my #2 choice didn’t show up anywhere! How in the world could Marion Cobretti's custom 1950 Mercury not make the list?

Oh well. Using just their choices here are my top ten:

10. 1970 Dodge Charger from The Fast and The Furious film. Fun movie and a fun car!

09. 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 fastback from Gone in 60 Seconds. I didn’t care for the movie at all. I am a huge fan of Mustangs though. In fact I owned a sweet little 72 Mustang back in high school. I did love that car!

08. 1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am from Smokey and The Bandit. It seemed that everyone wanted a Trans Am back in the late 70’s. They were cool for a while, but then kind of went the way of disco.

07. 1981 DeLorean DMC 12 from Back To The Future. Who wouldn’t want a car that could be cleaned with a brillo pad?

06. 1973 [heavily modified] Ford Falcon XB GT from Mad Max. Hey, the year 2012 will soon be here, so I may need that car!

05. 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 from Miami Vice television series. Heck, I’d even push my jacket sleeves up when driving it.

04. 2054 Lexus CS from Minority Report. All of my previous choices have been heavily influenced by the movie/tv show that the car appeared in, except for #9 and this one. This car is just too cool looking not to want... despite the movie just being okay.

03. 1974 Ford Gran Torino from the Starsky and Hutch television series. There was a time when everyone wanted one of these. People with other makes of cars had the Starsky and Hutch stripe painted on them. I believe that John Beatty would have even given up his beloved Charger for this bad boy.

02. 1966 Chrysler Crown Imperial from The Green Hornet television series. Who wouldn’t want a car that Bruce Lee used to drive?

01. 1955 Lincoln Futura Concept Car from the Batman [1966-1968] television series. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it now, If I was a rich man, this would be my ride.

4 comments:

Stacia said...

What, no Rockford Files Camaro? And the Nova that was always in the background of every chase scene?

Craig Zablo said...

LOL! Yeah, what WAS the deal with that Nova?

Anonymous said...

The comment I left at the site is below. Jim Rockford's car was a Firebird, by the way.:

As mentioned, Columbo's car is a severe miss as would be Jim Rockford's Firebird. That car saw a sales spike up during Rockford's run. I also agree in Jerry Van Dyke's "Mom'. Also the jeep in 'Rat Patrol'. Unless I missed it, the terrible miss is the Corvette Milner and Maharis drove in 'Route 66'.

Too many too young people making easy guesses. It is certainly disappointing to see reference to really bad forgettable films like 'Gone in 60 Seconds' and 'Uncle Buck'.

As also mentioned, the Batmobile, Magnum's car, Rockford's car and Bond's Aston Martin would be at least in the top ten based on sales, impact on the general population and those still in most people's memories. I guess if this list was assembled by the same folks in the mid-'80s it would have included 'Simon and Simon's Powerwagon.

Craig Zablo said...

You're right, especially about the Vette from Route 66 and the jeep from Rat Patrol. Who wouldn't want to tool around in either of those?