Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Immortal

Maybe it's due to some of the programming on RTN. Maybe it's because of posts by Ivan Shreve at his Thrilling Days of Yesteryear site. For whatever reason, lately I've been thinking about tv shows that I enjoyed as a kid. Regular readers know that I was a fan of "The Wild, Wild West," the original "Star Trek," and shows like "The Jack Benny Program," "The Honeymooners," and "The Twilight Zone."

Another series that I really enjoyed was "The Immortal." Christopher George played Ben Richards, a man whose blood made him immune to disease and aging. Richards was on the run from thugs hired by an old billionaire who knew that repeated transfusions from Richards would extend his life. The show premiered in September of 1970 and lasted for one season of fifteen episodes.

I haven't seen it, since it went of the air, but I sure do remember thinking it was great stuff. Of course I was eleven and sometimes things don't age well. Then again, maybe "The Immortal" would fit right in with
"The Wild, Wild West," the original "Star Trek," and shows like "The Jack Benny Program," "The Honeymooners," and "The Twilight Zone."

2 comments:

Rick L. Phillips said...

I heard of this program but never got to see it. It was off the air by the time I heard about it. That and The Magician with Bill Bixby. Maybe someone will put them on DVD someday.

Craig Zablo said...

Wow! The Magician with Bill Bixby. Now you're talking. I remember really liking the show. He drove a white Corvette, and if I remember correctly had it flown in his personal plane from city to city as he traveled to perform [and of course solve mysteries].