Saturday, January 19, 2008

RIP: Allan Melvin

I just discovered via Mark Evanier's site that Allan Melvin passed away last Thursday. While you may not know his name, I'll bet you'll know his face. Melvin was probably best known as "Sam the Butcher" from the Brady Bunch, but there was a time when Melvin was, as Mark Evanier states, "in everything."

Melvin appeared repeatedly on "The Phil Silvers Show," "The Dick Van Dyke Show," "The Andy Griffith Show" [my favorite Melvin guest roles], "Gomer Pyle," "Lost in Space," "All in the Family" and so many more shows. He made every show he was on just a little bit better just by being there.

Mr. Melvin was 84 years old and is survived by his wife, his daughter, his grandson and many fans. My thoughts and prayers go out to them all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Melvin, too. I just wish we had seen more of him. His style was so well suited to the television comedies of the '50s through '70s. These days, there's no room for someone like Melvin. That's why I hate seeing these character greats go away. There's no one like them to be seen in the current media today.