Monday, December 24, 2007

The Magic of the Holidays

No, I'm not trying to be politically correct with the title of this post. It's just that I do love the magic of holidays... all holidays. Okay, maybe not Arbor Day, but all of the rest of the biggies. Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year's, Halloween... you get the idea.

Holidays are magical. Think about it -- name ANY major holiday and right away you get a sense of time and place and a feeling of what the holiday means. Holidays have the power to bring families together, to end feuds, stop wars [if only for a short period of time], and even get you the day off from work.


When I think about holidays, I think about family. Of course we get together for the major ones... Christmas, Thanksgiving... New Years Eve. There's always laughter and shared memories [and usually a few new memories created]. When my sons were younger we'd have their cousins over for fireworks on the fourth of July and New Years Eve. They've all outgrown that now. Funny, but I haven't.

When my sons were much younger you didn't have to look very hard to see the magic in their eyes when they'd see Santa around town leading up to the big night. Sometimes they'd say it was the real Santa and other times they'd know it was just one of his helpers. They knew because of the "magic" they felt in the presence of the true St. Nick.

I still feel that magic when I'm with my family. I hope that you feel it too as you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, Festivus or Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy X-mas my friend !

Alexandre