Monday, August 06, 2007

Conan, Indeed

The above drawing came with a letter I received today from my old buddy Jim Ivey. You might not be able to tell, but that's Jim remembering how I looked over 30 years ago when I first met him ... well, if I was a cartoon character. The first time Jim ever drew a caricature of me, he turned me into Conan. Those days are long gone...

Jim wrote to tell me about the wonderful time he had in Washington, DC when he was recently honored at the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists 50th-anniversary convention. Jim is one of three surviving original members. Not only did Jim get to see them again, but also to meet many new artists for the first time. The highlight for Jim was meeting Ann Telnaes whose work he's admired for some time. Jim favorably compares to Herblock, Rube Goldberg and Roy Crane! Lofty company! [Jim's right, she is an amazing talent.] You can read more about Jim's trip HERE.

What's really amazing is that it's been 50 years since the first AAEC meeting. Jim is 82 and probably in as good of shape now as he was then! Conan, indeed!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Long live The Jim!

Craig Zablo said...

May Jim live to be 150 and we're there to toast him!

Anonymous said...

Jim is a wonder! Imagine Jim blogging! Wouldn't that be informative, imaginative, opinionated and WONDERFUL!!!

Craig Zablo said...

Rob, Beatty and I have said that if Jim was blogging there wouldn't be enough hours in the day!