Sunday, June 24, 2007

Heroes Con 07 Report

Heroes Con 2007 was a blast. Rather than go into a lengthy con report, I thought I'd post up some pictures and my thoughts. Hope you enjoy them half as much as I did the show...

This is the crew that I hung with for most of the weekend. Starting at the left and working around the table, my oldest son Mike, "The James", Raf Kayanan, John Beatty, Andrew Robinson, Matt, Lazenby and Hal. Getting together with these guys is always a blast. Raf, Beatty and Andrew were set up at the con next to each other [Bob McLeod, Derec Donovan and John Dell were also within reach] so it was a pretty hopping spot. Originally Dave Johnson was supposed to be set up in the same area, but unfortunately he couldn't make it this year.

That's Matt Fraction pictured above. He's about to autograph my copy of Last of the Independents which I highly recommend! It was my first time meeting Matt who also writes the popular Casanova comic series.

Rick Remender not only autographed my Doll and Creature graphic novel [review coming soon], but did an amazing piece for my Stallone gallery. I'll post it once it's scanned. Rick said that The Last Days of American Crime is in the works. I can't wait. Rick has so many irons in the fire with Fear Agent, Sea of Red, Strange Girl and more that I was starting to think that he'd never get to it.

Another first was meeting Kyle Baker. I'm a huge fan of Kyle's work. You Are Here is one of my all time favorite graphic novels. Kyle signed mine and told me his an idea for a sequel. I truly hope that someday he's able to do it. I also picked up Kyle Baker Cartoonist Volume 1 & Volume 2 and Nat Turner Volume 1 & Volume 2. I was also lucky enough to get a Rocky sketch from Kyle [which I'll post later]. Kyle Baker is an amazing talent and it was a pleasure meeting him.

One of the best parts of each Heroes Convention is watching artists create pieces for the auction. That's Craig Hamilton working on his "300" piece. Craig's an amazing artist who puts some much thought into everything he does. One of the cool things about Craig's painting is that it works both horizontally [as seen above] or vertically! Tony Harris worked on a wicked "Phantom of the Opera" piece, while Phil Noto brought Batman, Batgirl and Catwoman together as Andrew Robinson started "After the Parade" .

That's Gus Vasquez and his lil cousin Rosario Dawson. [Yeah, Rosario Dawson as in "Sin City", "Grindhouse", "Clerks 2", and a whole lot more!] Rosario and Gus were back as special guests of the show and also the auctioneers! They did a great job and a new record was set when Adam Hughes' Star Wars painting topped out at $5K!


It was so cool just to spend the weekend among friends, many of whom happen to be talented artists. Andrew Robinson definitely falls into both categories. The drawing above and this one are just two pieces that Andrew had created for his latest sketchbook. I was also lucky to see an advance copy of Andrew's new art book that will be coming from Alberto Ruiz's Brandstudio Press. Andrew's book is going to be a hot seller and I can't wait to get my copy!

Raf and Alberto spoke and Raf may have an "art of" book coming soon. I can't believe I didn't get any pictures of any of the sketches Raf produced. I was just too in awe of his work since it had been so many years since I'd been able to sit and watch him draw. I did get this shot and this one of two Punisher sketches that Beatty worked up for some lucky fans.

I guess I was just too busy actually talking to friends [Gary McKee, Jason Walker, and Eric Layton to name just three] and saying "hi" to artists [Jeff Parker, Brian Stelfreeze, Cully Hamner, Adam & Alison, Casey Jones, Cliff Chang, Tommy Lee Edwards and so many others] that I didn't take many pictures. I promise I'll do better next year... but please understand, no one does it as well as Pat Sun.

I was able to get some great additions to for my Stallone sketch collection. That's Mike Wieringo pictured above. Mike's blog is regular reading for me, not only because of his great sketches, but because of his thoughts about each sketch. When I contacted him about a Rocky sketch he posted after seeing "Rocky Balboa", he said I could pick it up at Heroes. Mike was also selling a sketchbook and with each book purchased fans got a free sketch. Talk about a great deal! I picked up a sketchbook and got Mike's take on Jack Carter as a bonus. [I'll post it soon.]

In addition to the two sketches I got from Mike Wieringo, I also was able to get one each from Rick Remender and Kyle Baker. Andrew Robinson did a cool Rocky for me before arriving at the show. So did Andy Smith. Megan Ruiz [Alberto's daughter -- a true prodigy] came through with Rambo. I also was able to get on Robin Mitchell's sketch list and come home with The Art of Robin Mitchell, Volume 1 and his take on Cosmo Carboni from Paradise Alley. I'll post all of these sketches once I get them scanned.

If you've made it with me this far, then you know a good time was had by all. Thank you and good night!


No comments: