Monday, April 09, 2007

Time for a Little Payback

I can't wait to get my copy of "Payback - The Director's Cut" when it goes on sale tomorrow. Although the theatrical version of "Payback" is one of my favorite Mel Gibson movies, I have a feeling that the Director's Cut will be as well. I know what you're thinking, how could it not be? It's the same movie with just a few extra scenes that were cut out when the movie was originally released.

Not so, good buddy!

Paramount and star Mel Gibson originally felt that writer/director Brian ["LA Confidential"] Helgeland’s adaptation of Donald E. Westlake’s novel The Hunter was too dark. So they told Helgeland to do some reshoots. He refused. Surprisingly, he was fired and Mel Gibson took over the director's chair. About a third of the movie was re-shot, new characters were added along with a happy ending.

There were always rumors that Helgeland’s version was better. Tomorrow we'll be able to decide for ourselves. In the mean time, CHUD.com scored an exclusive interview with Brian Helgeland who talks about what happened to get him fired and why Mel Gibson helped to make it possible for the new version to be released. Click HERE for the interview.

As I said, "Payback" is one of my favorite Mel Gibson movies. My guess is that "Payback - The Director's Cut" will be as well.

1 comment:

Christopher Mills said...

Just posted my comments on the new cut over at my blog.