Friday, March 16, 2007

There's a New Snake in Town

Variety announced yesterday that New Line won the bidding war to remake "Escape From New York." Gerard Butler [star of the fan favorite and record setting "300"] is set to take on the role of Snake Plissken which Kurt Russell made famous. Ken Nolan ["Black Hawk Down"] is on board to produce the screenplay which will update the 1981 John Carpenter script.

I have mixed feelings about this. One one hand, Kurt Russell is still around and in good enough shape to play Plissken again. I'll miss his "Clint Eastwood" delivery as Plissken. On the other mitt, I've always thought a more realistic and gritty Snake Plissken would be very cool. It'll be interesting to see what direction this updated "Escape from New York" will take. The good news is that even if the new version bombs, it won't change one frame of the orginal movie in my collection.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm worried. So very worried. I would rather see an older Snake Escaping from Planet Earth than a remake, but hey, I'm just a lowly tracer.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Russell and Plissken go together like Hunt and Beatty. Gulp!

The James said...

This is SACRILEGE!!!!!!!! There is no other Snake Plissken besides Kurt...'cept me.

Craig Zablo said...

Yeah James, I was surprised to read that Gerard Butler had beat you out for the role. Must have been some sort of pay-off.