Thursday, March 22, 2007

Russell: "I am Snake Plissken!"

The other day I mentioned that Gerard ["300"] Butler had signed on to play Snake Plissken in a new movie. My ZONE message board lit up with people [myself included] saying that Kurt Russell should be the one to play Snake.

Well, it seems Kurt Russell agrees. Entertainment Weekly posed the question, "What if they asked you to do a cameo in the new Escape from New York, or play the Ernest Borgnine role?" Here's Kurt's reply...

"F--- that! I am Snake Plissken! It's like Sean Connery always watching someone else do their version of Bond. I think one of the things, for instance, about Escape From New York that appealed to me was that it wasn't a special effects extravaganza. It's a quiet, dark world and it revolved around watching the behavior of this one guy. He's a fascinating character. In fact, he's the most complex character I've ever played."

And if you wonder what Kurt thinks about Scottish actor Gerard Butler playing Snake, the EW interview clears it up when Kurt says, ''Oh, man!'' [Russell winces]. I do think that character was quintessentially one thing. And that is, American."

I have nothing against Gerard Butler. I think he was great in "300" and I expect him to do other cool projects. And, while the remake of Snake Plissken is definitely cool, Russell is still THE MAN to play him. For the whole EW interview, click HERE.

No comments: