Thursday, August 31, 2006

Ultimate Fighting - Legitimate Sport or Guilty Pleasure?


One of the most popular topics on the ZONE and SZ Messageboards is Ultimate Fighting. I've become a fan despite the fact that I refused to watch the stuff for years.

It wasn't until I started tuning in to The Ultimate Fighter [season one] that I came to realize that the majority of these fighters are trained martial artists [wrestling, judo, boxing, etc.] and not just a bunch of knuckleheads who love to fight. Don't get me wrong, they DO love to fight, but most have skills and love to test theirs.

Another reason that I avoided watching UFC fights is that I didn't want to see people getting their bones broken or worse in an "athletic" event. And while it is true that many fights do end up with one or both contestants bleeding, and it isn't unheard of for a knockout to occur; these injuries are similar to what one could get in a boxing match. Sure, I understand that UFC fights do sometimes end with broken bones, but that is pretty rare. My guess is that more bones get broken in football games than UFC matches.

Still, there are times that I feel that watching a UFC fight is something of a guilty pleasure. I wouldn't want to see two guys brawling on the street and yet I find myself watching The Ultimate Fighter and UFC Unleashed every week.

I guess I'll ponder this a bit more during commercials. The Ultimate Fighter is coming on SPIKE TV now...


No comments: