Sunday, July 30, 2006

Mel Gibson's Apology Not Enough?

As I reported here, Mel Gibson was arrested for DUI on Friday. On Saturday, Gibson issued an apology and described his behavior by stating:

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said."

When the original story broke, we weren't told what Gibson had said. Today TMZ.com posted that Gibson's remarks included profanity-filled tirades against the police officer that pulled him over, as well as repeated
anti-Semitic remarks. In addition TMZ.com posted what they claim to be are copies of the actual police report.

Unfortunately this is not the first time Gibson has faced accusations of anti-Semitism. In an interview before the release of "The Passion of Christ," Gibson told
ABC's Diane Sawyer, "To be anti-Semitic is a sin. It's been condemned by one Papal Council after another. To be anti-Semitic is to be un-Christian, and I'm not."

Abraham H. Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League, called Gibson's apology "unremorseful and insufficient." It remains to be seen how Hollywood and the rest of the nation will view Gibson's drunken remarks.

As for me, I do believe Mel Gibson is sorry for the inappropriate comments that he made. I just hope that he's sorry not only because he made them, but also because they don't represent his true feelings.

No comments: