Saturday, July 29, 2006

Mel Cleans Up His Mess

Early Friday morning Mel Gibson was arrested for drunk driving. He was driving 87 in a 45 mph zone and his blood alcohol was well over the legal limit. Today Mel issued the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the L.A. County sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said.

"Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry.

"I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."


Mel messed up. No doubt about it. It's beyond stupid to drink and drive, but I do want to commend Mel for the way that he's handling this. Someone with Mel Gibson's fame and wealth could have gone the route of so many other celebs when caught in a similar situation. That is of course to deny [I clearly wasn't drunk...] or deflect [It wasn't alcohol, it was cold medicine... I was overly tired, etc. etc. etc.].

I just hope that Mel's apology is sincere and that he truly is taking steps to "ensure his return to health."

No comments: