Monday, May 15, 2006

Charlie Huston - We Have a Problem!

I discovered Charlie Huston's work a month ago when I read his first novel, Caught Stealing. Last night I finished Huston's second novel, Six Bad Things. Both books are among the best that I've read in the last year and both tell the tale of Hank Thompson.

Ten years ago Hank was a hot prospect to play some college baseball. A broken leg and some bad choices killed any shot of college ball and so Hank drifted up to New York where he found work as a bartender.

Things were going smoothly untl one night when two guys pulled him over the bar and beat him nearly to death. The next thing Hank knew he was on the run from the Russian mob, two Black cowboys, and a dirty cop. If Hank can figure out what's going on, he just might get out of this alive and with some of the $4.5 million that everyone thinks that he has!

On the strength of Caught Stealing, Charlie Huston jumped onto my "Author's to Watch for List." Seeing that Six Bad Things was just as good, he's now on my "Buy It Now List."

I'm putting in my pre-order for the final book in the Hank Thompson trilogy, A Dangerous Man, and also ordering Already Dead, Huston's novel about a detective who happens to be a vampire!

That means that I'll have all of his novels. He's just going to have to start writing faster.

No comments: