Friday, April 14, 2006

Liotta is out of Control

Control totally slipped by me... waaaaay under the radar. I don't remember reading anything about it before, during, or even after it's release. [And I'm talking theatrical and dvd]. That's surprising not only because it stars Ray Liotta, Willem Dafoe and Michelle Rodriguez, but also because it's a pretty decent movie.

Ray Liotta plays a sociopath on death row who is given a last minute, and I mean LAST minute, reprieve, if he will participate in an experimental group testing a drug that might be the key to a cure. Given the set up, I thought that the movie might be a preachy "we can cure them" take on the death sentence. Boy, am I glad that it turned out to be much more than that.

Ray Liotta is one of the most underrated actors working today, and Control provides him an opportunity to show his chops. DaFoe and Rodriguez are welcome additions, but it is the script that really works for me. What could have been a really over the top action-adventure is instead so much more.

Control isn't the best movie you'll see this year, but I bet you'll enjoy it if you give it a shot. "Control" rates a B+.

No comments: