Thursday, September 08, 2005

A New Season of "Must See" TV

The new tv season is nearly upon us and so I thought it might be fun to take a look at the shows that have made my MUST SEE TV list:

Sunday has traditionally been one of the weakest nights of the week and the new season looks to be more of the same. The only show that I plan to watch is West Wing [NBC]. Although last season was one of the best for West Wing, the new night could spell trouble. Since the Bartlett's are on the way out, fans may decide that they should
be as well. I hope not.

Monday looks to have just the right mix of shows. At 8PM, I'll check out Surface [NBC]. This show has a lot of potential - an "adventure-drama" about what happens when sea creatures [monsters?] are discovered all across the world's oceans. At 9PM, I'll switch over to FOX and check out Prison Break and at 10, it'll be back to NBC for the highly under-rated Medium.


Tuesday belongs to 24 and The Shield, but since they won't start up for a while I plan to give WB's Supernatural at 9PM a shot. Given the WB's track record with making my MUST SEE TV list, this could be bad, especially since my wife will want to watch The Amazing Race on CBS.

Wednesday is the greatly anticipated return of Lost at 9PM on ABC. I'll also probably dvr E-Ring on NBC at the same time. At 10, I'll keep it on ABC and check out Invasion. Seems that creepy is back in with Invasion, Supernatural and Surface all premiering this season. I wonder how many will last for two.



Thursday was for years THE night for tv. Not anymore. Survivor on CBS at 8PM will continue to be a family event. At 9PM, I'll switch over to ABC and give the Night Stalker a shot. I remember watching Darrin McGavin in the original Night Stalker movie back in 1972. It was a fun movie... but I didn't much care for the tv series that followed. Maybe this one will be better.


Friday is the second worst night of the week for tv [thank goodness for dvds]. I will give Threshold at 8PM on CBS a try since it has the same Invasion/Supernatural/Surface vibe.

Saturdays is the pits. I always hope that the SciFi Channel will have a halfway decent flick but that's rarely the case... still I continue to tune in.

Before I bring this post to a close, I want to mention the shows that I've enjoyed this summer: Hell's Kitchen hooked me and I wasn't sure I'd care about it at all; So You Think You Can Dance is as much fun as American Idol; Hogan Knows Best shows a side of The Hulkster that makes you wish he was your neighbor; Celebrity Fitness Club had me watching celebrities that I didn't even watch when they were famous [well, except for Gary Busey!]; Wanted has characters quirky enough to elevate it from the run of the mill cop show; The Ultimate Fighter is like The Contender on steroids; and my favorite summer show has turned out to be Over There.

Well, that's what I'm looking forward to from the new season. Have I missed anything?


No comments: