Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Bob Denver's Legacy

Bob Denver, the clueless hero of "Gilligan's Island" has died at the age of 70.

Denver, as Gilligan,. set sail on what should have been a three-hour tour but instead ended up being a 40 year adventure entertaining several generations of fans.

I was five years old when "Gilligan's Island" premiered and I can remember watching each week. They castaways were funny. Especially Gulligan.

The show ran for only three seasons. The funny thing is it never died. Bob Denver has 25 credits listed in the Internet Movie Database. Eight of them have direct ties to Gulligan's Island. Talk about creating an enduring and endearing character.

I didn't care much for Gilligan's Island once I was older. I remember watching Rescue from Gilligan's Island and thinking how stupid it was. It wasn't stupid though, it was silly. The kind of silly that little kids eat up... like I did when I used to watch Gilligan and the castways in their initial run.

Bob Denver's three hour tour will never end. He'll continue to entertain generation after generation. Smiles and the sounds of laughter is a great legacy.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends and fans of Mr. Denver.


No comments: