Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Big Fan... But Don't Like Most

I'm a fan of zombie movies. The funny thing is, there are probably only three that I really like... and one of those isn't really a zombie flick.

Ok, before we go further, and to put your mind at rest, they are
1] Night of the Living Dead
2] 28 days later and
3] Dawn of the Dead [the re-make].

Yeah, I know... 28 days isn't truly a zombie movie.

Yes, I know... it's blasphamy to leave out the original Dawn of the Dead.

And yeah, I have seen other zombie movies.

The problem with most of them is that they simply become gore fests. They don't have interesting characters. They focus only on how gross it is that the dead are eating the living or how cool it is when a zombie gets shot in the head.

And while it's true that many [if not most of the] people who dig zombie movies are there simply to see the zombies eat people and get blown away, that's not what I like about the genre.

What appeals to me is the world out of control aspect. I like seeing how the survivors come together from different backgrounds and with different ideas on what should be done next if everyone is to survive.

I'm looking forward to Land of the Dead. I hope that it'll be more like Night than Dawn or Day. You see, a little gore goes a long way in my book.

That's probably why I don't like most zombie movies, but love the genre.

No comments: