Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Jeb Misses the Mark

Since my blog is geared towards fun stuff, I usually don't discuss politics too much. But this story was just too good not to mention.

Florida's Governor, Jeb Bush, was speaking to a group of 200 honors students and opened it up for questions. An 18 year old student asked the Governor if he could answer an FCAT Math Question.

FCAT is the test that students are required to pass in order to get a diploma. And while I think the idea of FCAT is a good one, I do have some problems with the way its implemented... but I digress.

According to the article, "the governor gave a steely grin and then stalled a bit. "The angles would be ... If I was going to guess ... Three-four-five. Three-four-five. I don't know, 125, 90 and whatever remains on 180?"

As you've probably already figured out, the answer was wrong.

Does that mean that the Governor is stupid? No. Does it mean that he shouldn't be allowed to be governor? No. Does it mean that he couldn't pass the test? No.

I don't think that we should judge a person on the basis of one test. But that's what they do with the FCAT.


No comments: