Sunday, October 12, 2003

Kill Bill Disappoints

I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarintino's work. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are two of my favorite movies. From Dusk till Dawn is as well. [And yes, I know that Robert Rodriguez directed it!] I loved everything about the original trailer for "Kill Bill." The look. The music. The stars. How could it miss?

Let me tell you how. [Minor spoilers ahead.]

"Kill Bill" starts off well enough. It begins with a scratchy, cheesy "Now For Our Feature Presentation" intro straight out of the drive-ins that I loved as a kid. There's also the retro "Presented in Shaw-Scope" title card, the "Revenge is a dish best served cold" Klingon quote, and the Sonny Bono song, "Bang, Bang" playing over the credits. Yeah baby, Quentin was tapping in to everything that we loved about this genre from our childhood.
Then the movie starts with a bang. Literally. Uma Thurman is shot in the head and left for dead. But she's not really dead... just in a coma for four years. And when she wakes up she must have her revenge. Great set-up.

The action is over-the-top and brutal. The first payback that we see is really well done. It has the right mix of Tarantino heightened reality, humor and action. Then we have a flashback to the hospital and this is where the movie starts to loose me. There are a couple of scenes with a red neck and Buck the orderly that just really push the envelope. And for some reason everything after that seemed truly excessive and redundant.

How many arterial sprays do we need to see? How many limbs chopped off? But before we get to that gore we have to sit through an anime cartoon [which is pretty well done but again, very gory], a boring dialogue about tea, and discussion about why Uma needs a specific man to make her sword.

When I left the theater, I was disappointed. I had been hoping to see a really fun, really exciting revenge film. To make matters even worse, we don't get to see how everything turns out, since "Kill Bill, Volume 2" doesn't come out until February. The funny thing is, I didn't hate the movie. I'm not sure I even disliked it. I was disappointed... but disappointed enough not to see the rest?
I guess we'll know in February.

"Kill Bill" rates a C+

No comments: