Saturday, October 18, 2003

Halloween Fun!

Man, I love Halloween!

As we get closer to the big night, I find myself drawn to scary books and movies. For some reason even more so than usual this year. Maybe it's because there are so many good ones available.

I just finished reading Steve Niles' Dial M for Monster. Dial M is a book of short stories featuring his monster hunter, Cal McDonald. You've heard me praise Niles' work before and this book is no exception. I love everything about the world Niles has created for Cal [and I'm especially glad I can safely visit without fear of vampires, werewolves, fiends or other creatures coming after me!]. I'd suggest that you start with Guns, Drugs and Monsters [the first novel in the series] and then follow it up with Savage Membrane [the second].

If you'd like to get a taste of Niles' work before commiting to a novel, then by all means check out 30 Days of Night. This award winning comic series [with art by the extremely talented Ben Templesmith] is being developed into a feature film produced by none other than Sam Raimi! Why wait for the film? The graphic novel is available now and well worth every penny!

Changing gears just a bit... on Tuesday, one of my two favorite movies so far this year, becomes available! That's right 28 Days Later is available Tuesday! Man, I can't wait!

If you've read this far, then you're probably a real horror fan. You probably already know that a Dawn of the Dead remake starring Ving Rhames is coming out next March. But did you know that
the trailer is available now? At first I didn't think that a re-make of Dawn of the Dead was a good idea since the original trilogy [Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead] by George Romero are considered cult classics. But I did like the remake of Night of the Living Dead ]... plus Ving Rhames is starring... so why not? Plus, it'll give me one more thing to love about Halloween!

No comments: