Wednesday, November 05, 2008

RIP - Michael Crichton

Michael Crichton died yesterday at the age of 66 from cancer. I was totally shocked to read the news since I had no idea that Mr. Crichton had been ill.

Most folks know Michael Crichton as the author of the best selling novel, Jurassic Park, which became the blockbuster movie of the same name. Many of Mr. Crichton's novels were turned into movies: "The Andromeda Strain," "The Great Train Robbery," "Congo," "The 13th Warrior," and many others made the transition from the written page to the silver screen.

Mr. Crichton wrote the screenplay and directed "Westworld" and was the creator of the long-running and award-winning TV series E.R.?
Michael Crichton was a man of many talents, but his greatest was his ability to create impossible stories and fuse in just enough science to make them seem possible. I've read almost all of the books written under his own name and have enjoyed every one. I still have a couple sitting in my "To Be Read" Bookcase. I think, perhaps, when it is time to start a new novel, I'll pull one down.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Michael Crichton's family, friends and fans.

No comments: