Thursday, September 18, 2008

All Time Top Musical Artists

Recently Billboard posted The Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Artists. Using just the choices in their "Hot 100" here is my Top 20 [in alphabetical order] with a few comments on each.

  • Beatles, The: I can still remember my mom getting me out of bed to come out and see The Beatles when they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time. Some folks say, you're either a Beatles fan or a Rolling Stones fan. I'm a Beatles fan.

  • Bee Gees: I liked 'em before "Saturday Night Fever" and continued to like 'em even after the disco craze died. They could work the falsetto like nobody's business. There was a period in the late 70's when they owned the charts and created the soundtrack of some really fun years.

  • Bolton, Michael: Quit rolling your eyes. I like Bolton's singing.

  • Chicago: Man, did they have a run or what? I first discovered their music in the early 70's. I loved how they brought in the horns and were such a huge band and made it work. Different band members over the years, and they kept on making chart toppers. Put on their greatest hits and I'll bet you wouldn't skip a single song.

  • Collins, Phil: Think of early 80's music and you have to think of Phil Collins. He was the powerhouse behind Genesis, hit it big with music on "Miami Vice," and rocketed to the top of the charts with a solo career and movie soundtracks.

  • Eagles: I always liked their music, but it wasn't until I was older and really started listening to their work that I realized how truly good they were.

  • Earth, Wind & Fire: Chicago with soul.

  • Hall & Oates: "Sarah Smile" was a classic and then about 6 years later they started pumping out hit after hit. Together Hall & Oates were gold.

  • Houston, Witney: I loved her voice. Who didn't? I also loved her squeeky clean reputation. Really. There was a time when she had one.

  • Jackson 5: Anyone my age [late 40's] grew up during the Jackson 5 craze. Hit records, commercials, cartoons and a lot of fun music.

  • Jackson, Janet: Ms. Jackson if you're nasty. At one time Janet seemed pretty normal. Each year she seems a little more out there. Despite all that, I do enjoy her music.

  • Jackson, Michael: The King of Pop. The man who could do no wrong. Mr. Entertainment. And then the child abuse allegations... not once, but twice and they killed his career. But I can still "Remember the Time..."

  • Joel, Billy: would make the list if the only album he ever recorded was 52nd Street. I can't tell you how many times I listened without ever growing tired of it. He was one of the few musicians whose music I would buy without question.

  • John, Elton: became a favorite of mine when I was in junior high. It's funny, now but I can remember the rumors of him being gay [believe it or not youngsters, that there was a time when it wasn't obvious] and the surprise when he came out of the closet. Elton has continued to evolve and his music [especially with song writer Bernie Taupin] remains timeless.

  • Madonna: was like the weather in Florida. If you didn't like her music/persona just wait a bit and it would change. I liked that she was willing to take chances, [although the acting thing was too much], be provoking, and produce fun and sometimes thoughtful music.

  • Manilow, Barry: "Mandy" and "Time in New England" would get him on the list even if he didn't have bunches of other hits.

  • McCartney, Paul: My favorite Beatle. Paul had lots of great songs after the break-up of the band. Of course he makes the list.

  • Richie, Lionel: Loved him with the Commodores and when he went solo. At the time, he had the best romantic songs going... of course that was before his wife caught him cheating and punched [kicked?] him out.

  • Segar, Bob: The opposite of disco when disco was king. Loved his work -- still do.

  • Simon & Garfunkel: I was a little kid when they owned the charts... but every song was a winner.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty narrow list, but that's Billboard for ya. It can't be "All Time" without Sinatra, Bing Crosby or Conway Twitty who individually still sell annually the Hell out of anything else Richard Marx might do in his lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Madonna and Elton John ahead of Elvis Presley. LOL!

Don't get me wrong, I like Madonna (her music) and Elton but they don't compare to Elvis in terms of innovation and such.

SheriffFreddyHeflin

Anonymous said...

Top 10:

Aerosmith
Eagles
Ray Charles
Bon Jovi
Beach Boys
Rolling Stones
Stevie Wonder
Elvis
Elton John
The Beatles

RockyB76

Anonymous said...

Aerosmith Rules !
My top 20:
Michael Jackson
Prince
Elvis Presley
Tina Turner
Aerosmith
Rolling Stones
Alice Cooper
Madonna
U2
Ray Charles
Elton John
Sting
Mariah Carey
BB King
Bruce Springsteen
Tony Bennett
Janet Jackson
Alicia Keys
P!nk
2Pac Shakur

TheArtist29

Anonymous said...

Actually I had to hard of a time picking my top 10 from this list, which I think is pretty bad. There's a lot of great bands from the 70's, 80's and even 90's they kept off.

Slyclone

Anonymous said...

Where's Johnny Cash? Talk about losing all credability when likes of Michael Bolton and 50 Cent is on the list but not The Man In Black himself. >:(

From the ones on the list my favorites would be:

Elvis Presley
Eagles
Phil Collins
Roy Orbison
Bruce Springsteen

Rambo88

Craig Zablo said...

Sept 18, 2008, 7:22pm, SheriffFreddyHeflin wrote:

Madonna and Elton John ahead of Elvis Presley. LOL!

Don't get me wrong, I like Madonna (here music) and Elton but they don't compare to Elvis in terms of innovation and such.


Elvis was a bit before my time. I like his music, but I've listened to a LOT more of Madonna and Elton than Elvis.

Craig Zablo said...

Sept 18, 2008, 9:07pm, slyclone wrote:
Actually I had to hard of a time picking my top 10 from this list, which I think is pretty bad. There's a lot of great bands from the 70's, 80's and even 90's they kept off.
+++++


Yep.

Craig Zablo said...

Sept 18, 2008, 11:59pm, Rambo88 wrote:
Where's Johnny Cash? Talk about losing all credability when likes of Michael Bolton and 50 Cent is on the list but not The Man In Black himself. >:(

From the ones on the list my favorites would be:

Elvis Presley
Eagles
Phil Collins
Roy Orbison
Bruce Springsteen

+++++


Good point!

Anonymous said...

my favourites

m jackson/jackson 5
elvis
jazzy jeff and the fresh prince
tupac
kiss
phil collins
mariah carey
billy joel
EPMD
Whodini (old school rap)
bruce sprinsteen
living end (Australian band)
louis armstrong

-mac