Monday, July 28, 2008

Baker Shut Out

Quick, name a person famous for doing special effects make-up. I'll bet your answer [if you had one] was Rick Baker. That's because Rick Baker is a genius... a legend.

Look at his list of credits and you can see that Rick Baker is the go-to guy for special effects make-up. He's won 6 Academy Awards for his work in this area. But that's just the tip of the ice berg. Baker has earned so many honors for his work that the list is, as they say, longer than your arm... unless of course you're Lurch and then it's just as long.

So... can you imagine that Rick Baker would be hired on to do the effects for a movie and then not only be shut out of the process, but treated with disrespect? In an interview with Capone at Ain't It Cool News, Baker said, "They would shoot scenes using my work when I wasn't even there... Other times when I was there if I try to look at the monitor, someone would literally stand in my way and block it." Baker also spoke to MTV about his displeasure.

I had high hopes for "The Wolf Man." Perhaps the movie will still be good, but I don't see how I'll be able to watch it without wondering how much better it could have been had they allowed Rick Baker to completely work his magic.

1 comment:

Rafael Kayanan said...

Almost worked on this one until the director switcheroo.