TimesOnLine.com has posted their list of the All Time Best Movie Endings. Although my favorite movie ending wasn't on the list, ["Ain't gonna be no rematch!" "Don't want one... Adrian!"], I'll play along. Here are my top ten favorite movie endings using just those on their list:
- The Sixth Sense: everything that has happened throughout the movie is seen in a different light and makes complete sense. There hasn't been a movie ending since that has stirred as much buzz.
- Se7en: You don't even have to see what's in the box to know...
- Planet of the Apes: I was 9 or 10 seeing it on the big screen and was stunned! Coolest ending I'd ever seen up to that point.
- The Usual Suspects: Much like The Sixth Sense everything that has happened throughout the movie is seen in a different light and makes complete sense.
- Carrie: I saw this at a midnight showing during it's initial release. So it's about 2am, I think the movie is over and get the shock of my life. I almost went over the back of my seat I jumped so high -- probably gave the person behind me the shock of his life!
- Momento: This is one of my son, Mike's favorite movies. That alone would get it on the list since he has such good taste in film. I dig it too.
- Casablanca: The perfect ending to a perfect movie.
- The Wizard of Oz: Remember how cool it was being a little kid and suddenly realizing that all of the people around Dorothy's bed were the Scarecrow, Cowardly Lion. the Tin Man and the Wizard?
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: Another favorite movie that had a classic ending.
- Doctor Strangelove: The ending is almost as classic as the scene with Slim Pickens riding the A-Bomb down!
Thanks to Bill Crider for the link!