Tuesday, June 17, 2008

UFC Update


  • Tomorrow night the final episode of The Ultimate Fighter [before the live fights on Saturday to determine the season's champ] airs. If you've been following the show, then you know that the biggest shocker ending ever awaits. Previews of the episode showed the windows of a limo being busted or shot out. Dana White then said that the finalists had been determined, but because of "the incident" the person involved would not be allowed to fight and would be banned from the UFC.
    My guess is Jesse Taylor did something stupid.... again.

  • Tomorrow at noon Dana White has called a press conference where he is set to announce something that will change the direction of MMA for years to come. There's speculation that the announcement could be...
    1] the UFC has received clearance for fights to be held in New York which will lead to fight clearance across the nation.
    2] Dana White is teaming with Vince McMahon [of the WWE] to buy complete ownership of the UFC.
    3] Dana White
    has signed Randy Couture and Fedor Emelianenko to fight for the UFC later this year.
    My guess is that Dana will announce either a tv deal with FOX, NBC, or ABC... or a deal that puts the UFC logo on clothes in stores nationwide.
  • Dana White has announced that Anderson Silva will move up to light heavyweight to fight James Irvin live on SPIKE on July 19th. Silva will not give up his middleweight title, but instead use the Irvin fight to guage his chances in the heavier division. Silva is considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Irvin will be a tough opponent and especially motivated coming off his 8 second knockout of Huston Alexander. Obviously Irvin is being considered a stepping stone for Silva. That could provide plenty of motivation for Irvin. If Silva wins, fights against Rampage Jackson and Chuck Liddell would create the potential for the biggest MMA fights [and prize money] ever. My guess is that could provide plenty of motivation for Silva.

    And that is our UFC update for today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good updates Zablo. I'm not a huge UFC/MMA fan but a few of my friends and family members love it so I always here this stuff.

SheriffFreddyHeflin

Craig Zablo said...

Thanks Sheriff!

Anonymous said...

Jun 18, 2008, 5:48am, Craig Zablo wrote:
Thanks Sheriff!



No problem. As much as I am a boxing fanatic, I am starting to get into UFC a bit because I'm hearing about it so much. The names you mention in your blog here, I recognize.

SheriffFreddyHeflin

Anonymous said...

I watch MMA telecasts occasionally and do respect the fighters. I would probably be more of an MMA fan if the promoters stopped trying to put down boxing at almost every chance they get. In my opinion while both are combat sports they are still quite different. And there is room for both.

JSL

Anonymous said...

Jun 18, 2008, 10:36pm, JSL wrote:

I watch MMA telecasts occasionally and do respect the fighters. I would probably be more of an MMA fan if the promoters stopped trying to put down boxing at almost every chance they get. In my opinion while both are combat sports they are still quite different. And there is room for both.



Well put JSL. I feel the same way and that's why I'm kind of turned off by MMA at times because people who are involved in the sport, do put down boxing.

SheriffFreddyHeflin

Craig Zablo said...

Well said!