Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cloverfield Thoughts

I had mixed feelings going in to “Cloverfield.” I really liked the trailer and some of the hype boosting the movie. I thought the idea of a story told through a “found” video camera was interesting. By the same token, I knew that using the conceit of “the “video” would be limiting. But in the end, who doesn’t want to see a giant monster tearing up the city?

The Good: Once the action [finally] gets started and no one knows quite what is going on – seeing glimpses of the monster tearing junk up – crossing from the leaning building onto the stable one – a giant monster tearing up the city

The Bad: The movie takes forever to get crackin’ – being limited to just “the video” – what happens to people bitten by the little critters – the love story – what happens to the cameraman

The Ugly: People in the theater getting motion sickness – the monster – being limited to just one view of all the action

Overall I’m glad I saw “Cloverfield” although I must admit I was disappointed when I left the theater. “Cloverfield” won’t make it into my movie collection, and I have no desire to see it again… although I wouldn’t mind fast-forwarding to some of the good parts. I mean, who doesn’t want to see a giant monster tearing up the city?

No comments: