Monday, November 19, 2007

Riddick's Return?

One of my favorite movies is "Pitch Black." I loved how it came out of nowhere, without a big name writer, director or stars and nailed it. Everything about the movie worked for me. Especially Vin Diesel as Riddick. I also thought it was cool that writer/director, David Twohy and Vin Diesel were in sync with the character of Riddick; so much so that they planned to bring him back in a trilogy.

I have to admit that "The Riddick Chronicles" was a bit of a let down. Suddenly we learn that Riddick isn't human and will play a role in saving the universe. Argh. I liked Riddick as a tougher than nails, human ex-con on the run who cares for no one except himself and his own survival... and yet risks his life to save a child. Still, "The Chronicles of Riddick" had it's moments [and enough of them to earn the movie a place in my dvd library]. And yeah, I'd still like to see more of Twohy and Diesel teaming to bring us further adventures of Riddick. Two movies and an animated adventure just weren't enough. There was so much untapped potential with Riddick that there had to be another movie. That seemed unlikely since "The Riddick Chronicles" didn't do as well at the box office as hoped.

Maybe things have changed. David Twohy recently announced on his website: "All I can say now is 'We're talking about it.' The DVD numbers were really good - we know that, and some potential financiers know that. But if another movie surfaces, it probably won't be a Universal movie and probably will be an independent movie. Which means we'll have to make it for substantially less than the last installment. That's okay. 'Pitch Black' was $22 million all in. Maybe it's time to go back to our roots - as we go on to The UnderVerse. "

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

No comments: