Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Why the Hullabaloo?

JoBlo.com has posted up 9 clips to help satisfy our cravings for "30 Days of Night."

---
Christopher Mills commented on my last post and I thought he opened up an interesting discussion. Chris said:

You know, I don't really get what's so great about 30 Days of Night.

I've read the first two graphic novels, and, honestly, I was underwhelmed.

The art was pretty, but the visual storytelling was virtually nonexistent, and there was nothing particularly fresh about the plot other than the titular gimmick of an Arctic Circle setting – which I first saw in an indy vampire film a decade ago called "Jugular Wine."

But then, I haven't really been impressed with anything I've read by Niles. His "I Am Legend" comic was more a transcription than an adaptation, and the few other things of his I've read (admittedly, not that much) played out like a regurgitation of B-movie plots.

Now, much the same could be said of my stuff, and I don't begrudge him his success, I just don't get all the hullabaloo...
---
Craig responds:

Chris, like most projects that have a lot of buzz, I think that it’s a combination of things coming together at the right time. Horror movies are doing well now and people want to see them. Perhaps it’s because of the times in which we live.


I was impressed [more] with the [first] graphic novels. The concept was new to me and I’d imagine a lot of other people as well. I’ll have to keep an eye out for “Jugular Wine.” You and I both read a lot of graphic novels/comics so Templesmith’s art probably didn’t seem as groundbreaking to us, but to casual readers it probably shocked them. “30 Days of Night” was [at least to a lot of folks] what adults [or at least young adults] want in comics so of course they’d love to see a movie adaptation.

I first discovered Steve Niles through his “I Am Legend” adaptation and I’d agree with your assessment of it. Still, it was cool to see him bring it to comics. I’d forgotten all about Niles until I read his novel Guns, Drugs and Monsters. I loved it. From there I sought out his other novel and of course “30 Days of Night.” Niles and I exchanged a few e-mails and I met him at a convention. He seemed like an ordinary guy who made good… and he knew how lucky he was. He was humble and appreciative of his fans. When the movie deal was announced, I was happy to see that he’d hit the lottery.

As for the movie itself, it looks great. The publicity machine has been hitting on all cylinders building the anticipation and everything I’ve seen makes me think that I’m going to have a fun couple of hours this weekend when I get out to see it.

Thanks to Christopher Mills for the topic and now you should head over to his blog and check out his post on the new Star Trek movie!


2 comments:

Christopher Mills said...

Well, to be fair, there may be some sour grapes on my part. I had a my supernatural P.I. comic come out first, yet his got all the attention...

Craig Zablo said...

Yeah, but you still have Gravedigger!