Monday, August 20, 2007

Where's Willie?

The piece above is a close-up of a fanzine cover created by Willie Blyberg back in 1978. At that time, Willie was a very prolific and talented fan artist who not only created his own fanzines, but contributed to others as well. Willie's goal was to break into comics as a professional inker and his dream became a reality.

My favorite Willie Blyberg ink job was over Paul Gulacy on the
Valkyrie: Prisoner of the Past mini-series. I must not have been the only one to enjoy it, because Paul and Willie were nominated for the 1988 Best Art Team Eisner Award. Willie inked a lot of other comics, but then I lost touch with his career.

Tonight as I was looking through my copy of Willie's fanzine from 1978, I wondered where Willie is today. Perhaps someone reading this knows?

No comments: