Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Guy Ritchie's Gamekeeper

I read Guy Ritchie's The Gamekeeper last night. Written by Andy Diggle with art by Mukesh Singh, and based on a concept by none other than [Madonna's husband and film director] Guy "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" Ritchie.

Ritchie isn't what caused me to pick up the comic though. I saw "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" and thought it was okay, and have never seen "Snatch" or possibly any of Ritchie's other movies. [And NO, I didn't buy it because of the Madonna connection.] I did buy it because I enjoyed Diggle's work on The Losers and because the preview art looked pretty good.

In the opening issue nothing is as it first appears. A runaway shows up on a Scottish estate. He is taken to the owner of the estate, a kind older man, by the Checen groundskeeper [or should I say "Gamekeeper"]. Before the day is over the estate is attacked by several well-armed men. The runaway, the older man and the Gamekeeper are all more than what they seem at first glance. And that mystery is reason enough to come back for issue two.

No comments: