Friday, January 05, 2007

If It Weren't For Bad Luck...

I always try to keep my ZONE pieces positive and I don't want that to change. Generally things go really well for me... You can hear the "but" coming can't you?

For the last couple of weeks my luck has been terrible. [Before I go on, let me make it clear that the problems that I'm going to mention are minor compared to what some folks go through daily. I'm not looking for pity, only to explain why my posts have been scarce.]

It all started a few days before Christmas. My computer died. I know for some of us, that's worse than the death of a seldom-seen relative. Luckily I had backed up most things. Of course I lost a bunch of e-mails and the like, but not enough to wish harm to dear ole Uncle Sticky. The timing wasn't the best ["Rocky Balboa" had just opened and I had another week to go on the official movie blog], but I knew that I'd be able to work things out.

We'd been planning a family trip for the day after Christmas and I was looking forward to Christmas Eve with my wife and kids, my mom, my brother's family, my two sister's and their families, my cousin... well, you get the picture. Christmas Eve was great, unfortunately before the night was out my youngest son was throwing up and had come down with a major stomach bug. We postponed opening Christmas presents since he was so sick. [You KNOW a kid is sick when he doesn't feel liking opening gifts.]

We decided to put off our trip for a day to make sure that Chris felt well enough to travel. The next day I came down with it. I spent the day reliving Chris' losing battle to avoid the bathroom. I was throwing up and facing other aspects of the bug. Obviously we'd have to put off the trip again.

The next day I was still feeling woozey and my oldest son came down with the bug as well. Thank God we have two bathrooms. At that point we knew we weren't destined to go out of state and cancelled the trip.

After a few days of the entire family feeling healthy we decided that a short trip to St. Augustine [about 60 miles away] was in order. We all loaded up the car and headed off. We made it about two miles from the house when my car died! I pulled it over to the side of the road and contacted Triple A. One and a half hours later a tow truck arrived [my family had long since left with another family member] and it was off to the shop where I learned it was a problem with the fuel pump.

And my computer was still dead.

Still, there is usually a silver lining... the fuel pump was under warranty. We've all returned to good health. I'm writing this post from my NEW computer and Uncle Sticky is probably still alive and kicking.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Craig, what a horrible streak of bad luck, I'm sure it'll be a Christmas you'll never forget!

I had to laugh out loud when you said it was good that we had two bathrooms...I was feeling for you but that line cracked me up, haha - sorry. ;)

Glad things are back to "normal" again, and hopefully there won't be any problems with your new computer for a long time! All the best in 2007! =)

-Chris M

Kelsey said...

God, don't holiday's just suck? I feel ya brother. My Mom got real sick and I had to take care of here on Christmas day and then I got sick.

Thank God my computer still works. HAHA!

Anonymous said...

Holy moly. But it ain't about how hard your hit...;-)

Glad everyone and everything is back on track. Here's to a GREAT new year for the Zablo clan !


Peace & Blessings,
Jazz
http://www.theartofjazzman.com

Craig Zablo said...

Thanks guys. We're all doing much better now... and I think [hope] the bad luck streak has ended.

Anonymous said...

Boo-Hoo-Hoooooo