Sunday, October 22, 2006

Root for the Bad Guy... Again


"Payback" is one of my favorite Mel Gibson films. Based on the novel by Richard Stark, it's a worthy adaptation of a crime classic. The story behind the making of the movie is almost as interesting.

Screenwriter, Brian Helgeland, hot of the success of "LA Confidential" wanted to direct. Pairing him with Mel Gibson on "Payback" seemed a natural. Things went well until late into filming when either Gibson, the studio or both decided that Gibson's character needed to be more likeable and the film needed more action.

Helgeland disagreed. Guess who won out?

Yep, Gibson and the studio. So Mel went behind the camera and filmed some additional scenes and the tone of the movie changed.

As I said, "Payback" is one of my favorite Mel Gibson movies... but I always thought it would be cool to see Brian Helgeland's vision. Perhaps, it too, would be one of my favorites.

According to Harry at Ain't It Cool News, we'll soon find out! "Payback: Straight Up - The Director's Cut" is comming out in a few months. And unlike some "director's cuts" where a few minutes of footage [that wasn't good enough to make the original release!] is added, this is going to be a complete overhaul. It will be Helgeland's vision .

And I can't wait to see it!


4 comments:

The James said...

I LOVE this flick, the Westlake books also, and can't wait for the "tougher, meaner" edition.

Craig Zablo said...

You and me both, bro.

And the new edition would make a great afternoon of viewing for "da boys."

Christopher Mills said...

Hey! I just posted about this on *my* blog.

Looks like you had yours up first, though...

Great minds and all that...

Craig Zablo said...

Yeah Chris, you and I share a lot of the same interests... especially about a character called "Gravedigger!"