Sunday, September 03, 2006

Andrew Robinson Gets Carter

I first met Andrew Robinson when he was crashing at my buddy John Beatty's joint years ago. Andrew was just breaking into comics with his creation "Dusty Starr." A blind man could see that this kid had TALENT. Andrew was also cool to hang with because he was so friendly and humble. I wasn't back in to collecting original art then and so I missed my chance at a Andrew Robinson "Stallone."

I was excited to see that Andrew was going to be a guest at this year's Heroes Con. I figured that if I was lucky Andrew might agree to a Stallone drawing [if I could get on his sketch list]. I shouldn't have worried. Beatty stopped by Andrew's table and it was as if the years melted away. They were like brothers who hadn't talked in months. As it turned out, after Heroes, Andrew was coming to Florida to visit his family [who now lived less than an hour from Daytona]. One thing led to another and Andrew decided to ride back with Beatty and John Highasi. The bad news was that I would miss out on the drive back since I had other commitments. The good news was that Andrew was going to do a Stallone drawing for me... and he wanted to wait until he got to Florida to do it!


Andrew ended up drawing Sly as Jack Carter during one of his visits to Big Beatty's. Not only did Andrew do a killer job, but he was having so much fun that he decided to throw some colors on it as well! Here's the original, the first color piece the second color piece and even the third!


If you like what you've seen of Andrew's art, then be sure to check out Next Exit Productions which is Andrew's home on the web. You'll also be glad to hear that Dusty Starr #1 is now available. If you can't get it from your local comic book shop, you can get it straight from Andrew by clicking HERE. Be sure and also check out the first ever Dusty Starr Sketchbook. Like everything else that Andrew works on, it will make a fine addition to your collection!

2 comments:

Casey Jones said...

Great pics, Craig! Congrats on getting the sketch.

-Casey

Rob Smith jr said...

Holy Cow! I forgot all about 'Dusty Star'! What great work that was!!! Thanks for the heads up of the whereabouts of the artist's site! I'll dig in to spend time there!