Saturday, October 22, 2005

You're Only As Old As You Feel!

Today's my birthday. I'm 47. It's hard to believe that I now easily fit into the category often described as "middle aged." Truth be told, unless I live to be 94, I'm past my middle age.

It's always a cliche when people say that "you're only as young as you feel" or "I sure don't feel ___." But truthfully, I don't FEEL 47. Well, not unless 47 feels like 27.

There was a guy I worked wih years ago. He was a few days older than me. When he turned 30 he freaked out. Really. He couldn't stop talking about how depressed being 30 made him. For me 30 was just another birthday. So was 40. For some strange reason 45 seemed different. I wasn't freaked out like my co-worker at 30, but 45 did seem like a milestone. How did I become 45 so fast?

Now I'm 47. I don't feel older. Well, not THAT much older. I know that 47 seems old when you're a teenager, or even if you're in your 20's. I'm here to tell you that 47 is the new 35!

At any rate, it is my birthday and I've got to tell you, "You're only as young as you feel and I sure don't feel 47."

No comments: