Tuesday, October 05, 2004

RIP: Rodney Dangerfield

Rodney Dangerfield passed away this afternoon.

Man, I really enjoyed Rodney's comedy. Most people really became aware of Rodney Dangerfield after he appeared [and got the best laughs] in Caddyshack.

But I remember him first from his standup comedy on variety shows in the 60's that I used to watch with my grandparents. Rodney's trademark line, "I don't get no respect" was always followed by several great one-liners.

"I don't get no respect. When I was born I was so ugly the doctor slapped my mother."

"I don't get no respect. I was in a bar and a guy asked me if I had any naked pictures of my wife. I said, 'No.' He asked me if I wanted to buy some."

After Caddyshack, Rodney graduated from co-star to star status and headlined several movies. But it was always his standup that appealed most to me.

Now Rodney's gone. I'm going to miss seeing him pop up from time to time with another spin on his "I don't get no respect" lines. But I'll always have great memories of watching Rodney perform and all of the laughs he gave us.

And you have to respect that.

Our prayers go out to Rodney's family and friends.

No comments: