Saturday, October 30, 2004

Dr. Jekyll has Two Secrets

In the spirit of Halloween, I've been watching [and enjoying] quite a few horror movies lately. As most of you know, I'm a big fan of the genre especially the classic monsters... Wolfman, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Creature from the Black Lagoon...

Until this week I was never a fan of
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde [in any of the many movie versions]. I decided to watch the 1931 film starring Frederich March and Miriam Hopkins. I know I had seen it before when I was a kid and it didn't impress me. Watching it again the other night was like seeing it for the first time.

Fredric March won a Best Actor Oscar for his role[s]. Miriam Hopkins is just right as the saucy barmaid who adds fuel to March's fire. The special effects were excellent.

What suprised me most was the movie used Jekyll's sexual frustration as the focal point of the duality of man's battle with good vs evil. For a film made in the 30's it was pretty surprising.

At any rate, if you're looking for a good movie for Halloween, give the 1931 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde a view. You might discover that there's more to both Dr. Jekyll and the movie than appears at first glance!

"Dr, Jekyll and Mr. Hide" [1931] rates a B

No comments: