Friday, January 23, 2004

RIP Bob Keeshan

Bob Keeshan died today. And piece of my childhood went with him. You see, Bob Keeshan was Captain Kangaroo.

Even if you're too young to have ever watched Captain Kangaroo, I'll bet you know what a huge part he played in the lives of kids growing up in the 50's, 60's, 70's and even the 80's! Each morning as a child, I can remember sitting in front of the television waiting for the Captain to get his big key ring full of keys to open the Treasure House. Then we'd wait to see who would pop in... Mister Green Jeans, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose [watch out for falling ping pong balls], Grandfather Clock... there were cartoons and all kinds of cool stuff [for kids].

I outgrew the Captain Kangaroo show well before the 60's ended, but I never outgrew the good feeling that it left me as a child.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Keeshan's family and friends.


No comments: