Saturday, May 04, 2002

Bruno Bows Out

I never saw Bruno Sammartino wrestle. Still I agree that he is, perhaps, the greatest star from the golden age of pro wrestling.

Bruno
will be among the first 13 inducted into the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame this weekend. They'll have to have the ceremony without him. Bruno refuses to attend.

"Wrestling is how I made my living and supported my family, but it's over. I don't want anything to do with it anymore," Bruno was quoted as saying earlier this week.

Despite a long reign as world champion, selling out Madison Square Garden over 200 times (the most ever) and his immense popularity, Bruno was blackballed from wrestling when he spoke out about, "Drugs, steroids, all the sexual stuff, bizarre things" that he saw going on in wrestling in the 80's. Click here for the full story.

I never saw Bruno wrestle. That's sad for me. No one will see Bruno at the ceremony as he's inducted into the Hall of Fame. That's sad for all fans of the sport.

No comments: