Sunday, April 14, 2002

Mackey & The Shield: Bad is Good

Michael Chiklis plays Detective Vic Mackey in FX's acclaimed new show, The Shield. If you haven't seen The Shield, odds are you've heard of it since the pilot was the highest-rated original series premiere in basic cable television history.

I've watched The Shield since its premiere and it immediately went to my must see list. Chiklis is, without a doubt, the main draw. He's an exceptional actor playing a complex role as the leader of a "strike force" of cops dealing with the worst in society. Mackey is as bad as the criminals he takes down... yet he has a code of ethics to "take care of his own" and he does. I've never had such mixed emotions about a character before. I want him to get caught and yet I don't. The rest of the cast and the storylines are excellent as well.

With all of that said, I can't recommend the show to everyone. It pushes the limits in every way possible (language, violence, sexual situations). But if you like gritty hard-boiled cop shows, then this show is the one for you!

No comments: