Saturday, July 31, 2004

No Happy Ending for Mike

Mike Tyson, once the most feared fighter in the world, and a 9-1 favorite was knocked out in the fourth round by British heavyweight Danny Williams.

Yeah, Tyson's 38 years old. And yes, Williams outweighed Tyson by over thirty pounds. And it's true that Tyson won the first three rounds on ALL of the judges' score cards. Tyson's people are already blaming the loss on a knee twisted in the first round.

Perhaps they didn't see the flurry of punches Williams unleashed on Iron Mike in the fourth round which left him sitting on the canvas bloodied and beaten.

I was pulling for Tyson. Sometimes I'm not sure why. He had it all and blew it. From what I've read and seen of Mike, I doubt if I'd like to hang around with him for very long. Still he intrigues me. Tyson has a vast knowledge of boxing and a love for the sport and it's history. He WAS the baddest man in the world until he hooked up with Don King. It's like the storybook tale of a kid born with everything against him who overcomes it all... and then loses it

I guess I just keep hoping for a happy ending.

No comments: